4.15.2009

Thing 21: Student 2.0 tools

I was looking forward to exploring this thing when I saw it up as I'm a student as well as a library employee.
I thought I'd approach this thing from that angle. How useful is it to me for my assignments? How can I utilize it for my classes?
I thought by using this approach it'd pretty much answer the question "how can I use it my library?"

Assignment calculator
I have a book report due (A book report?! I know, I thought the same thing when I saw it on the syllabus) at the beginning of May that I'm trying to work on. So I put in todays date to start it, and the deadline date. I like how they have drop down for the subject. Some subjects will just take longer for assignments than others will.
It gave me 12 steps (most of which don't really apply because as I said, it's a book report instead of the normal 8-15 page research paper I'd actually have to write. I guess maybe I should switch the subject to English instead of psychology.

*is laughing*

Anyway, I can see this tool being very useful to students. I remember when I was a kid I always had difficulty managing my time when it came to assignments. The last possibly moment would come and I'd manage to get the assignment in, but there so much stress involved. Even now, I'm a last minute A.
I've always thought if teachers knew how much time an effort ACTUALLY went into my assignments they'd not give me an A.
I do believe I've found a new place to visit at the beginnings of all my future semesters.

((ON a side note...how the hell do you do a book report? I...I honestly can't remember ever writing one.))

Research Project Calculator

This one seems to be similar in outcome. You still give the same info but you have a lot less steps to go through.
Pretty much everything I said with the first once can be said here. They're both straightforward and I think would be a big help to students.

Teacher Guide
This has a lot of handy guides you can download about a variety of topics all related to doing a research project.
I can totally see these being useful to students and anyone who has a project they're working on.
I have an art show next year and I need to get cracking on making some new pieces that I can show. I think I'm going to try using some of these tools to get me moving at a good pace. Last thing I want to do is not have anything to show.

No comments:

Post a Comment