2.26.2009

Thing 8

1. I've been using IM for almost ten years now. I was introduced to IM with AOL. I eventually added on ICQ and then discovered trillian.
Trllian is similar to Meebo(I think) there is another program as well that collects all your IMs into one place, but I can't think of the name off the top of my head.
Until this Thing I didn't realize there were other programs that did had this feature. I never liked the way Trillian was set up, so I'll have to look into these other programs (When I get my new computer, that is. It's hard when you only have 3GB of disk space left on your computer!!)

I've used many versions of AIM(AOL Instant Messenger) and am fond of their older programs. I guess I'm a simplistic IMer. All the new fancy doo-dads don't do anything for me.

2. TEXT MESSAGING
I ABHOR test messaging. I can't stomp my feet hard enough and scream it loud enough!
I hate cell phones to begin with. I have one. I use it.
But it's my opinion that text messaging is used primarily to "sneak" communication. Kids use it in class, people sneak in text messages while they're working, and WORSE...
I've seen people use it while they're DRIVING!

-There was a really bad car accident that I read about in the paper a few years back in NY. Four teenage girls in an SUV. The driver lost control of the vehicle and it rolled. All the girls died. During the investigation, the police found that the driver received a text message less than a minute before the time of the crash. It was believed the text messaging distracted her and was the cause of the crash.-

I've told friends who have my cell number not to text me unless it can be answered with "yes," "no," "ok," or it doesn't have to be answered at all. And if I don't respond, not to take it personally.

3. I don't know a lot about web conferencing and haven't really experienced anything like that before. Most of the links provided for this thing either are PDF documents, which my computer doesn't like so I don't open unless it's a vital necessity that I do so, or for some reason don't like firefox.
So, this brings me to a rant I have and am going to share with anyone who reads this...

rant
You(generically) are creating something you want to communicate to a broad range of people. Why would you create it so that it's run best with a certain browser?
What about ALL those people who have macs?
Or prefer another browser over internet explorer? OR whose IE doesn't run properly?
HHMMMM?

If you're going to create some piece of web communication, no matter what it is, it should be made so that everyone can access it!
/rant

All that said,
I want to add one last thing.
Emails.
We use them at my library and they are a LIFE SAVER!
I work nights and my direct supervisors are usually gone by the time I come in. Emails allow us to converse on subjects of importance. They can leave me emails about pertinent things that need to be accomplished during my shift or reminders about everything under the sun.
plus, emails are more environmentally friendly than paper.
I have my personal library account sent up to send me email notices for reserves and overdues so that we need not ever receive paper in the mail.
Saves paper, and envelope and stamp!

No comments:

Post a Comment